Thursday, March 28, 2013

My New Toolbox..


I loved this assignment! I learned so much and I can't wait to use these tools in my classroom.  I see myself using the bookmarkets and URL shortening tools the most.  QR codes definitely can be beneficial, but the mobile policy might get in the way of using this in the classroom. I could use QR Codes for home use. 


Bookmarklets:
I absolutely love the Printliminator. I print a ton of articles and recipes and hate when I can't find a 'printer friendly' version.  This allows me to select what I want to print.  It is fabulous.  I will use this browser add on. I can't wait to install it on my work computer. (Hopefully I am allowed to) Instead of wasting 8 pages printing a recipe, I can just select the recipe without any of the other stuff on the page.  Prior to this add on, I would have to open a word document, and copy/paste the information into the word document.  Then I would usually have to format the recipe so that it looks OK.  This not only goes for recipes, but also for readings I find on the Internet for my class. I wouldn't have to reformat in word. This is probably one of the best things I have found. I am excited to use this.

I use youtube videos frequently in class.  I have to download them because youtube is blocked in my district. Prior to learning about KeepIt, I used a website called savevid.com.  Sometimes the site didn't work, and it was unreliable.  This add on is absolutely fabulous. I had a hard time finding a program that was compatible with a MAC and/or was reasonably priced.  This is also one of hte best things I have learned about so far. I use short clips all the time in my 8th grade history class.  This downloader will be ideal to help me vary the media in my classroom.  I am excited to use this as well.

I have bookmarked both of these sites, and will do so on both my laptop and my desktop.  I don't think KeepIt will work on my school computer, but having access at home will be extremely beneficial. I can't wait to use them!

URL Shortening:
This is a great idea.  I had only seen this before when using twitter.  I can definitely see now how this can be valuable in the classroom.  I can post URLs that are much easier to remember and to type in.  I will use them when posting my classroom edmodo sites.  My Period 1 site looks like this without the shortening: http://www.edmodo.com/home#/join/e8f314e69361eb634035e93af687b91a this would be hard to post and the chance of me or the students writing this down incorrectly in very high.  After I created the shortened URL, the link looked like this http://bit.ly/16jStyf. It is much shorter and easy to remember or write down. I see myself using this when I am giving specific websites to my students for projects and research materials.  It will be much easier then having them write down a long URL.  If they write the URL wrong, it will be hard for them to find the site. Also, I like bitly because it also saves all of the URLs I make.  That way if I have to share a website again, I can just log into my site.

QR Codes: 
I have seen QR Codes all over the place, but I really didn't understand what they were or why they were beneficial.  From this class, I realized how they could be used with education.  I got to thinking that I would love to put QR codes on my syllabus linking important sites for my students and my parents.  I could link to my edmodo site or various online resources that will help them in my class. When I create projects, I could put QR codes on my rubrics to guide them to appropriate research sites.  All of this hinges upon the technology policy of my school.  Currently, students are not allowed to use their cell phones in class.  They are, however, allowed to use ipads and kindles.  They could possibly use those to read the codes. If mobile phones were allowed, it would prove to be a great tool to use in the classroom.  If I used them now, most  students will only be able to use the codes at home.  I wanted to use a site for school, but unfortunately I am on Spring break, so I cannot post in my classroom.  Instead I created a code that I can place on my fridge.



This site posts paleo and gluten free recipes. I use these sites frequently so this would be helpful in the kitchen to look up recipes.  See picture below






No comments:

Post a Comment