Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Web 2.0 Ideas (u05d1) Discussion

Prompt: As you explore Web 2.0 applications outlined in Topics, share your questions and integration ideas.


Communication Platforms

There are several Web 2.0 resources that can be used to help students communicate.  During another Wilkes course, I was briefly introduced to diigo.  I have never heard of it. I am glad that I have had the opportunity to use this great site.  In using it for the PBL project, I can truly see how it can be used in a classroom. I could use it as a teacher as 'approved' sources for my 8th graders to complete research. I could also have the students themselves bookmark sites for their research or for an activity.  Another site I wanted to comment on is edmodo. I LOVE edmodo. If you haven't tried it, do it.  My students call it the Facebook for School.  I really couldn't get over how much the loved to participate on edmodo.  I would post polls and within minutes, students would be responding and debating online.  I also checked out WizIQ. This seems like a digital classroom.  I think this could be beneficial for many reasons.  It will allow groups to collaborate without being in the same room.  I see it as the classroom version of google hangouts.  This site could allow students to complete and communicate from home using a computer and a webcam.  I can also see using this site for homebound students.  It would allow them to communicate and participate with the class.

Collaboration Platforms

Prior to this course, I have used google docs to store personal and professional documents, but I have never even considered the benefits of using google docs in the classroom.  Not only can students word process online, but there can be online collaboration via google docs.  Whomever has the link, can edit the document. This way there isn't just one student controlling the doc, they all can access it. I can see integrating google docs greatly. It will be easy to create presentations and spreadsheets online. They can create bibliographies, brainstorm and even produce a final product on a free google docs.  I think the entire google site is beneficial.  I know my life would be chaotic without google calendar, and I can see how it would be great to organize meetings with groups.  Edmodo is also great for collaboration. I have used it in class before. Each group had their own group in edmodo and they would use the group message board to collaborate in class and out of class. The students were to create a Revolutionary War newsletter, and they used edmodo as collaborative tool. It's great.

Publishing Platforms

I was introduced to Prezi by a coworker last year.  I absolutely loved it! Its like a powerpoint on steroids! I wish that you could create Prezis without an internet connection. (I think you can, but you have to pay for it). I also like that you can collaborate on a Prezi. Any student that has the link can edit the presentation. I could see my students having a great time creating fun Prezi presentations on a historical theme or topic.  Voicethread seems really neat and I was excited to check it out, I unfortunately found that it was a paid site.  I can see Voicethread being a great site to complete a multimedia project for my class.  I wish they had a trial for me to explore more. Glogster is an amazing site.  This is one site I would LOVE to use in my classroom. The regular glogster is free, but the secure education site is a paid site.  I could see my students creating beautiful digital posters on various historical topics.  One site I explored was yodio. I REALLY want to use this in my class!! The students can create their own podcasts! I think this could be a great addition to any project I assign in my class. I could have them pretend to be a historical figure and write a speech. There is even an iPhone app :).  And by the looks of it, ITS FREE :)

Questions/Issues with Integration
I would love to integrate a lot of these site but there is one hurdle: Technology.  I should really say the lack of it.  My school does not have a tremendous amount of computers.  We have a few labs but they aren't available all periods of the day and we have ONE laptop cart that has to be reserved months in advance.  Hopefully my school will go to a BYOD policy in the future.  That would allow some of these sites to be used in class with much more consistency. Another question I have is, how do I get my school district to pay for some of these great paid sites??

No comments:

Post a Comment