Sunday, April 21, 2013

Broadcast Yourself... UStream

Honestly, this project scared me to death. Scared me so much I immediately contacted the instructor!  My fears were eased and I looked into USTREAM. Honestly, attending the webinar also helped me overcome my fears.

I signed up for UStream and downloaded the Ustream Producer and the desktop streamer.  When I downloaded the producers, I then had to figure out how to get my desktop able to broadcast.  I had to watch youtube videos on how to broadcast my desktop. It took me a few minuts to figure it out.  I did a few tests and I finally was able to get it up and running. It was a little complicated but I thought I had it.

After I got that figured out, I had to decide what to broadcast.  I did a PowerPoint presentation earlier this week to my school board on the Ignite Torch. (I had to present to get the grant) I thought it would be a great idea to use that information. I decided to try to use Prezi.  I transfered the PowerPoint presentation to Prezi and it looked great. This project also allowed me to learn to use Prezi.

My original date and time came.  I was well on my way  with the presentation when the bandwidth was too much and it kept on kicking me offline.  I tried lowering the bandwidth but it still wouldn't work.  I got frustrated and decided to try again the next day.  It was much easier to do the next day, but I still ran into problems.  I finished the broadcast, but it didn't save to USTREAM, so again, I had to do it again.  It went fine and this time I finally got it done AND saved to Ustream. I had three viewers to my first attempt. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it through my 10 minute presentation. I had two on my second. I couldn't figure out how to get a chat feature working.

It was a frustrating process and it definitely needs a learning curve.  I am sure one can invest in a broadcasting program that is much easier and more reliable.  USTREAM was great for a free service.

Looking back, I should have tried a few more test runs, but I thought when the first ones worked, I'd be good to go.. boy was I wrong.

I did postings announcing my broadcast on my blog and UStream  makes it easy to share on facebook and twitter. I did leading up to my first scheduled broadcasting.  I also made posts after the fact when I couldn't get through my presentation to reschedule.

The presentation went fine, and I found that I actually enjoyed it.  After doing this and attending the webinar, I can see how live broadcasting can benefit education. It makes distance learning possible.  When I was in high school, I was in a Russian class and we had 4 students from another district that participated via distance learning.  At that time, the equipment was big and bulky.  It is much easier now with just software and a webcam.  It could also allow those on home study to still attend classes.

I would use this technology in the future if all of my students had access to the internet and computers.  Hopefully in the future, it will happen.  I could also have students create broadcasts on their end.  It woud make a great project.

UStream Channel:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/travla01

My broadcast is the most recent one on my Ustream channel.



No comments:

Post a Comment