Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Teachers, Students and Social Media


I strongly believe that students and teachers should NOT be friends on social media sites like facebook.  Like many have said, there is a boundary between the school and personal life.  I do not want my students to know my personal life.  I don't tell them much for good reason. I am not their friend, I am their teacher.  There have been cases in PA where teachers have lost their certificate because of college pictures that have emerged later on in their teaching career.  Teachers have to be very careful about the things they post in facebook, and having student friends would just make yourself open to all sorts of trouble.  I went so far to change my name on facebook so that my last name isn't published. I do not want students OR parents to find me, and I do not want even a friend request. I think accepting students as friends opens up a door that might never be able to close. I also don't want to know the ins and outs of my student's 8th grade personal lives.  I get enough of the drama in class, I can't imagine what goes on there. 

Twitter could be adapted for education.  You have a choice on whether or not to follow back. I think it could be adapted in a much better fashion then facebook.  I probably still wouldn't risk it.  

Instagram could be used also in the classroom with some adjustments.  I would probably have the students create history accounts to seperate from their personal accounts. I would do the same.

I find edmodo to be a good (and secure) blend of education and social media. My students love using edmodo. One of my students told me "its facebook... FOR SCHOOL!!" It is secure. The teacher has complete control of the site as a moderator. I love using it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment