Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Digital Dossier. Are you aware?




This really did scare me a bit.  That every google search, every facebook post is storing information in my digital dossier.  Its hard to fathom all the digital footprints I have left.  From credit card information to facebook pictures.  One can know almost everything about me just by canvasing my digital footprints. I post to facebook, buy things online, heck, I even take classes online.  All my banking is done online.  It is scary to know that my life, potentially, has been stored online.  

My adult life has been stored online. My student's digital life has started much earlier.  The internet was growing when I was a teenager. It wasn't readily and constantly available till I was in college. In high school, I had to dial up.  My students have constantly been around digital technology.  It has been a part of their lives since birth. Their digital footprint has begun much earlier than mine.  

I think this has a HUGE impact on children.  It has been ingrained in their lives since birth. I think its been to the point that it would be hard to remove technology from their lives.  I remember my childhood, I didn't have a cell phone till I went to college.  I could live without it.  These kids today have a hard time separating their digital selves from their physical selves.  Both of those are fully entwined. The scary part, is they don't realize what is going on.  They don't know what effect those posts on facebook will have on getting a job or getting into college.  They don't realize that when they post to facebook, they relinquish ownership of their photos. THey don't know that even if they delete a photo, it is still stored somewhere in internet land.  I think we will see the effects in the future. Imagine this generation running for president? Campaigns are going to be even dirtier now that we leave a digital trail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment