Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Horizon Report: 3D Printing


A few weeks ago, while watching Channel One with my students, they did a segment on a 3D pen.  This pen can 'draw' 3D images.  It looks almost like a hot glue gun that an instantly build objects. I thought that was really neat. 


So when I pulled up the Horizon report, I was pleasantly surprised to see the '3D Printing' as an emerging technology. It think this technology is REALLY neat. It actually kind of makes me a little excited to see this in practice.  The idea that this printer could build 3D models of objects is astonishing.  


I can already see how I can use this technology in the classroom. It is impossible for me to go to historical places and different countries. I could print historical buildings or the faces of historical figures. I could print out historical objects like the spinning jenny, steamboats or muskets. I could print 3D maps! I could print models of battles. The possibilities are really endless. This technology would allow students to examine objects, people, and places that they might not be available normally. 


I really can't wait to see what the future holds for these emerging technologies!

No comments:

Post a Comment