Saturday, April 20, 2013

Discovery Education Webinar: Middle School Social Studies Techbook: What are the 5E's and How Do They Fit My Classroom?



Date and time:

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:00 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Program:
Techbook Webinars
Duration:1 hour
Description:
ENGAGE students as they EXPLORE social studies through digital media We'll EXPLAIN how digital media can change the way students experience social studies, ELABORATE on how digital media can be utilized to meet the needs of every student, and EVALUATE student progress through US History, World History and World Geography concepts.


The Webinar I chose to take part in was a discovery education webinar dealing with a new product called a Techbook. It is an electronic textbook.  I chose this webinar for several reasons. First, it fit my schedule. It was one of the only webinars I could find that did.  It is also coordinated with my subject area!  My school is beginning to explore the idea of digital textbooks. I was interested in seeing how they could be integrated into the classroom. I am actually interested in trying to get it for my school.  


  • What were the strengths and weaknesses of the show format?
I was unsure as to what to expect in a webinar.  I have never been to one before.  The one weakness that it did have was the time.  It was very late webinar.  It started at 10 and was an hour long. This was a weakness for me because it was a school night and I have to be up at 5:20 in the morning.  Another weakness is that it didn't allow me to really explore the techbook.  She did offer us a trial after, but I would have liked to maybe explore the techbook, with her.  I also would have like a little more interactive features. We had a chat, but it was only used to answer some questions. Although it had those weaknesses, it also did have its strengths.  It opened me up to a new piece of technology that I didn't know existed. The format was easy to follow.  The technology was not confusing or hard to use on my end. The chat feature was easy to find, even when she shared her screen and we had to go open the chat again. The show was easy to register for, and it was easy to enter the webinar. I had no challenges attending the webinar.  It peaked my interest in the subject and the product.  The format allowed for people to ask questions, it also allowed powerpoint slides and voice lecture.  The webinar also allowed for the techbook to be fully explained.  I believe the webinar served its purpose.  I am now interested in the product!!

  • Would you participate in future shows of this nature?
Of Course! I was able to gain a lot of valuable information through this webinar.  I would love to learn more information about teaching and new teaching tools for Social Studies and History. 
  • How could this type of webcast be incorporated into the classroom?
I think this could be used to have guest speakers that are too far away or unable to come into the classroom. This will allow the students to interact with them via chat and allow the students to see the person and learn from them.  This could also be used for distance learning/homebound students.  It will allow the teacher to teach the child without being in the same room.  I believe this technology can definitely help education!!  The students could also create their own as a project. I think this could also be used for professional development hours/credits and during in service days.  
  • How might you use it with students?  As attendees or broadcasters?

This question relates to the question above. I think it could be used both ways.  As attendees, students on home bound or unable to come to school because of a medical reason could use this technology to learn and keep up with the curriculum when they are out.  It could be used for summer school as well.  For my current class, I don't know if I would use it. I work at a very rural district. Many of my students don't have internet access so it would be difficult.  As Broadcasters, I could have students create a broadcast for a project.  Instead of an oral presentation, they could do this. I still run into the lack of technology problem here too.


I learned a lot from this webinar.  I actually felt more comfortable doing my broadcast project after watching this.  I can't wait to sign up for my trial of this techbook! I'll have to keep an eye out for these webinars.

I also attached my certificate! I think it was neat that they included it.


















No comments:

Post a Comment